Frequently Asked Questions
How can I use ArtRage 4 on Windows XP?ArtRage 4.5 does not support Windows XP. We have shifted the older ArtRage 4.0 build to an optional WinXP branch that you can find by following the steps below. This will allow you to continue to work with the XP compatible version.
To sign up to the WinXP option:
- Go to your Steam Library
- Right click on ArtRage 4
- Go to Properties
- Go to the Beta tab
- Opt into the WinXP Branch
I can’t preview the thumbnails for my files with my Steam installation of ArtRage?Because ArtRage uses a unique file format, normal operating systems cannot display the thumbnail image when browsing the files in folders. Normally, there is a special thumbnail viewing program installed as part of ArtRage, but it isn’t possible to include this with Steam installations for Windows operating systems.
Instead, you can download the free demo and take advantage of the thumbnail viewer that is installed along with it.
Problems launching ArtRage through Steam
If you are having problems running the Steam version of ArtRage, then there are a couple of common issues that are likely to be to blame.
1. Verify the local file cache:
Locate ArtRage in the Library (under ‘All Software’, ‘All Games’ is selected by default and it’s not listed there). Right click it and select Properties, then select the Local Files tab. On the Local Files page, click ‘Verify Integrity of Application Cache’.
That should check to make sure that the files are all valid.
2. Try turning off the Steam Community options for the app:
Sometimes launching from Steam (which creates a virtual shared disk for their SteamCloud system) has been known to cause crashes in a variety of apps.
To turn this off for ArtRage…
Locate ArtRage in the Library as above, right click it and select Properties. On the General page, turn off ‘Enable Steam Community In-Game’. This tells Steam not to try launching special services when the app is launched.
If you are still having problems, try launching ArtRage without Steam.
Launching ArtRage as a standalone program
If you bought ArtRage through Steam and would like to run it without opening Steam, then you are able to do this by browsing directly to the ArtRage program file.
ArtRage does not use DRM and does not need an active internet connection.
To use ArtRage with the Steam client closed all you need to do is locate the application on disk and launch it directly.
To locate the ArtRage file
- Locate ArtRage in the Library (under ‘All Software’; ‘All Games’ is selected by default and it’s not listed there).
- Right click and select Properties, then select the Local Files tab.
- On the Local Files page, click Browse Local Files. This opens up the folder ArtRage is in. You can now close Steam.
- Double click the ArtRage.exe file and the app will launch.
- To run ArtRage without Steam every time, create a shortcut to this file from the folder.
- Do not make a shortcut using the Steam option to create a desktop shortcut – That shortcut will launch Steam when you use it.
- The first time you launch the product you will be asked to enter your serial number, subsequent launches should not require this.
Note: Earlier versions of ArtRage Studio Pro on Steam used DRM. It was removed in later updates.