Frequently Asked Questions
As current versions of ArtRage are 64 bit applications, 32 bit Photoshop filters are not compatible. However, you can also run the 32 bit version of ArtRage if needed.
In the Start menu, open the ArtRage folder and instead of clicking ‘ArtRage’, click ‘ArtRage 32 bit’
On macOS, select the application icon and choose Get Info from the Finder’s File menu, then turn on the 32-bit Mode toggle in the info panel and the app will launch in 32 bit mode.
How to I tell what version I am running and whether it is 64 bit?
If you aren’t sure whether you are running ArtRage 4.5 in 32 bit or 64 bit mode, there are two easy ways to find out.
1. Look at the splash screen on start up.
2. Look at the ‘about’ pop up window.
Go to Help > About ArtRage (Ctrl + 1) and look in the bottom right corner of the pop up window.
This is also how to check the version number.
32 bit Photoshop Filters
If you have 32 Bit Photoshop filters that are 32 bit, then these won’t run in 64 bit ArtRage 4.5. However, both OS X and Windows versions have the ability to run in 32 bit mode if they need it.
Mac OS X
On OS X, select the application icon and choose Get Info from the Finder’s File menu, then turn on the 32-bit Mode toggle in the info panel and the app will launch in 32 bit mode.
On a Windows 64 bit system we install 2 files: ArtRage.exe which is 64 bit, and ArtRage32.exe which is 32 bit.
To open “ArtRage32.exe”:
- Either locate the shortcut to ArtRage32 in the Start menu
- Or manually open ArtRage32.exe from the folder it is installed to. The file path is Program Files > Ambient Design > ArtRage 4 > ArtRage32.exe
- See more about Where is ArtRage 4.5 installed on Windows?
Which folders does ArtRage 4.5 install to when I update to it?
There are two standard places for programs to be installed on the C:// drive on Windows: Program Files and Program Files (x86). Traditionally, the (x86) folder is used for 32 bit applications and the Program Files folder is used for 64 bit applications.
However, this is simply a matter of organisation and it does not actually matter which folder an application installs to. 64 bit applications work fine from the (x86) folder and still run in 64 bit mode, the two folders are just folders, they have no special effect on how the operating system handles their contents.
Where does ArtRage 4.5 install?
ArtRage 4.5 installs to either of the above folders depending on the following:
- If you had a previous version of ArtRage installed the 4.5 update installs over that old version.
- If you did not have a previous version of ArtRage installed the 4.5 update installs either:
- To Program Files (x86) if you are running 32 bit Windows.
- To Program Files if you are running 64 bit Windows.
This means that if you had a version of ArtRage 4.0 installed in Program Files (x86) the new 4.5 update will install to that folder as well, even if you are using 64 bit Windows. This prevents shortcuts, file associations, and Windows Installer records being damaged.
As noted above, this has no effect whatsoever on the performance of the application.