Frequently Asked Questions
Normally you should only need to enter your serial number the first time you launch ArtRage. However, if it happens repeatedly, this means that something is preventing ArtRage from storing its serial number information.
Launching ArtRage as an administrator should correct this. Browse to your version ArtRage in the start menu and right click it, then choose ‘Run as Administrator’ from the menu. On Windows 8 or later you may need to select ‘More’, before selecting ‘Run as Administrator’.
ArtRage should then launch and ask for your serial number. Enter it, click OK then quit ArtRage and start it again. It should now start without asking for your serial number.
When you Unlock ArtRage you are given the option to Register it. This is done using the ArtRage Member Area. Follow these steps:
- Create a Member Area account if you do not already have one. These accounts are not automatically created when you purchase the product. For more information click here
- On the Profile page click the ‘Register’ button which is to the of the ‘Add New Product’ text.
- Enter your ArtRage Serial Number in the popup that appears. If you do not know your Serial Number, click here for information on how to find it.
- Click ‘Save’ under the Serial Number you entered.
If the page does not update to display your product, click outside the popup to dismiss it then click on the Profile link at the very top of the page, this should update to display the registered product.
Note that you only need to register the product once. Once it has been registered you do not need to repeat the process if you ever need to reinstall and unlock ArtRage again.
On Windows or macOS, the first time you launch ArtRage you will be asked to Unlock the product using your Serial Number. You will also be asked to enter it when you Register your product in our Member Area. If you experience problems with either of these systems, please double check that you have entered the right Serial Number:
Serial Number Error when Unlocking or Registering:
– ArtRage 3 or later uses a 25 digit Serial Number. ArtRage 2 uses a 20 digit Registration Key.
– If you have your Serial Number in digital format such as in an email you can Copy it from there and Paste it in to the Unlock panel in ArtRage.
– If you received ArtRage with a Wacom graphics tablet or other hardware, please make sure you are using the ArtRage Serial Number the manufacturer provided, Wacom ‘Software Download Bundle’ codes and tablet serial numbers will not unlock ArtRage.
Serial Number Already Claimed when Registering:
Each ArtRage Serial Number can only be Registered once in our Member Area. If you receive an error telling you that your Serial has already been registered, it may be because you previously registered it with a different email address, or that a duplicate Serial Number has been given out. Please contact us and let us know the Serial Number you are trying to register and we can look in to it for you.
If you continue to have problems, please contact us and let us know the Serial Number you are entering along with where you received it from and we should be able to help!
Where you can find your ArtRage Serial Number depends on which version you are using:
ArtRage for iOS or Android:
The iOS and Android versions of ArtRage do not require a Serial Number so you should not need one.
ArtRage for Windows / macOS:
If you have ArtRage running on your computer you can locate your Serial Number using its option in the Help Menu. If you do not have ArtRage running, where you find your Serial depends on where you purchased it:
Purchased from us:
If you purchased ArtRage from our website you would have received your 25 digit Serial Number with your purchase confirmation email. If you cannot locate it, please contact us and let us know the email address or street address you used when you made the purchase so we can confirm your details and find your Serial.
Note that if you own ArtRage 2, the Serial Number is called a ‘Registration Key’ in your email and is a 20 digit code.
Received with a Wacom or other graphics tablet or hardware:
If you received your software as part of a bundle with a Wacom or other model graphics tablet or hardware your Serial Number should have been provided by the company who manufactured the tablet. Because we do not have access to their customer systems, you will need to contact Customer Support for the company who manufactured the hardware and they should be able to help.
Purchased on Steam:
If you purchased ArtRage on Steam you can locate your Serial Number using the ‘CD Key’ option for the software in your library. To do this: Launch the Steam Client, right-click the ArtRage app under your Steam Library and then select “View CD-Key”. If desired, you can copy this serial key and register it in our member area to gain download links for the non-steam version and upgrade discounts.
ArtRage 2 from Smith Micro:
If you purchased a boxed copy of ArtRage from Smith Micro your Serial Number should be in the box. Unfortunately we do not have access to serial number records for Smith Micro customers so if you are unable to locate it you will need to contact their Customer Support line.
If you got ArtRage Lite as a free download with your Wacom Intuos Draw tablet, Wacom has changed their registration process and no longer emails the serial out. You should be able to view your ArtRage serial by logging back into their website and looking in the ‘My Library’ section. If you’re having problems following the steps, see this Wacom registration guide.
If you can’t find it, contact Wacom support and they should be able to help you (unfortunately, we don’t have access to your account with Wacom). If you have used up your downloads, or need to switch from Windows to Mac OSX (or vice versa), just register your serial in our member area to download your software as needed.
We recommend using our ArtRage 4 demo until you get everything sorted.
I just bought ArtRage and I haven’t received a serial number!
If you purchased ArtRage online through our website then you should receive a purchase confirmation emailing containing a direct download link and a serial number for ArtRage from our store.
If you have purchased the desktop version, there are download links for Windows and Mac OS X and a single serial number you can use on either or both.
If you did not receive a purchase email at all or deleted it
If you do not see an email from us at all, the first thing to do is check your spam folder.
If it’s not there, then give it a couple of hours. Normally it should be received within a few minutes, but in a few rare cases the email delivery could be delayed.
However, if it was blocked from ever reaching you, or if it has since been deleted, contact us directly via our Support form. We will be able to look your purchase details up if you provide the email that you purchased with (or your postal address).
You do not need the download link in the email to install ArtRage, as you can register the serial in our Members Area and download the latest version whenever you wish.
Also See: How do I register my copy of ArtRage?
If you did not purchase ArtRage directly from us, then see How do I find out what my serial number is?
Does ArtRage use Digital Rights Management or use any kind of background services?
The desktop versions of ArtRage do not use DRM, or run any kind of background services. There is no additional software installed, and there are no ads. Once you have successfully installed ArtRage, you do not need an internet connection at all (other than to check for updates. You can ignore this, or even turn it off entirely and check the forums yourself). We do recommend installing updates, however, as they tend to be important fixes or useful new features (see the update histories here).
The iOS apps are linked to your iTunes account and Apple profiles. They do not have any adware or other background services and are purely art apps.
You may install ArtRage on an additional computer for your own use. If you own two computers, upgrade to a new one, or want to temporarily use it elsewhere, then all you have to do is install, enter your serial number, and start drawing.
If you wish to use ArtRage on more computers, contact us for bulk and educational licencing options.
We also recommend uninstalling ArtRage when giving away computers as it is very easy to find the serial number. This could lead to problems for you later if someone else registers it before you do (preventing you from accessing updates), or causes it to be locked.
Registering your serial in the Member Area is optional but recommended.
DRM in the Steam Editions
ArtRage Studio Pro did include DRM when it was originally released on Steam. This was removed in later updates and entirely in ArtRage 4.
It was originally there to allow ArtRage to run through the Steam platform without needing a serial number. The DRM-free version requires users to enter a serial number the first time they launch ArtRage.
This also made it possible to launch ArtRage without the Steam platform.
Serial number asked for every launch
Some Windows users have reported that every time they start ArtRage they are prompted to enter their Serial Number. This problem indicates that the application is not being given permission by the operating system to store the serial number in the Registry after it is entered.
To solve the problem, you need to launch ArtRage ‘as Administrator’ once and enter the Serial Number, this allows the application to store the number and it won’t ask for it again when you launch it normally.
How you do this depends on the version of Windows you are using:
To launch ArtRage as Administrator:
- Locate the ArtRage executable file ( ArtRage.exe , ArtRage Studio Pro.exe or ArtRage Studio.exe). This is generally found in c:\Program Files (x86)\Ambient Design\.
- Right click the .exe file and choose to Open as Administrator (the exact wording varies depending on your version of Windows).
- ArtRage will now launch and ask for your Serial Number. Enter it and click OK.
- Quit ArtRage and launch it normally. It should start without asking for your serial.
Note that the “Before Windows 8” instructions may work on Windows 8 if you are using Desktop Mode to right click on the ArtRage executable. If you are using the ‘Metro’ screen however, you will need to follow these instructions:
- Open the Start screen (press the Windows button on the device, or your keyboard).
- Start typing ‘ArtRage’ on the start screen to search for it.
- When it appears, right click on the application and look for the ‘Advanced’ option.
- Click on Advanced then select the Run as Administrator option.
If you still have problems: Please contact us via the Support Page for assistance. When you contact us, let us know that you tried these steps, and which version of Windows you are using.
What do I get if I register my copy of ArtRage?
We highly recommend that you register your ArtRage serial number in the member area, because it allows you to:
- Download the latest version of your software whenever you need it (including when you need to update)
- Download the different installers for Mac OS X and Windows
- Keep a record of your serial number in a secure place in case you lose your details
- Access upgrade discounts to the latest edition
If you are having problems registering, see:
How do I register my copy of ArtRage?
To register a copy of ArtRage to your user account:
- Log in to the Member Area using your account details.
- How do I find out what my serial number is?
Note: Member Area accounts are not created automatically when you purchase the product, if the member area tells you there is no account with your email address, please create one.
- Click the ‘register’ button next to ‘add new product’ and enter your ArtRage serial number / registration key.
- Refresh the page if nothing appears to change.
- You should now see it listed with a download button beneath which you can click to download any of the latest versions.
- If you want to upgrade to our most recent edition, you will see an “Upgrade to ArtRage 4” button. This will take you to our online store with a 50% discount applied.
If you do not know your serial number
Follow the steps here: How do I find out what my serial number is?
I have OSX and Windows, do I need to buy a copy for each platform?
ArtRage can be purchased for both Windows & OS X – providing you with one serial key, but two download files depending on what version you wish to use.
Your ArtRage license is for a single user, but if you wish to install on more than one platform for your own use you can register your key in the Member Area and download the installer for any of the platforms the product is available on.
Lost registration or unknown serial number?
If you do not know what your serial number (also known as a licence code or registration key) is, there are various ways to find it again.
If you have previously chosen to register your copy of ArtRage software under the Members Area, then your Profile will contain your serial number. Log in to the Member Area to view serial numbers for all your registered products.
If you have not registered, then we recommend doing so once you find your serial number using the various options listed below:
If ArtRage is installed and working:
ArtRage 4, Lite, 5: Go to Help >ArtRage Serial Number
ArtRage Studio/Studio Pro: Go to Help > Change Serial Number
ArtRage on Steam: You can find your serial number by right clicking ArtRage 4 in your Steam library and choosing ‘view CD key’.
ArtRage 2.6: The serial number is located in the registry files. Contact us for OS specific instructions via our support page
If ArtRage is not installed or came with a third party tablet or device
The location of the serial number varies, depending on how you purchased ArtRage. Choose the option that applies to you below.
If you have purchased ArtRage directly from us online:
- Check for your original purchase email.
- If you have just bought ArtRage and cannot find a serial number in your emails, read Missing Serial After Online Purchase
Feel free to send a support request via our support page if you purchased ArtRage from our website and can’t locate your key and we’ll be happy to check our purchase records for you, then help you to register it on our website.
If you have a Steam version of ArtRage
- You can find your serial number by right clicking ArtRage 4 in your Steam library and choosing ‘view CD key’.
- You do not need a serial number as your purchase is linked to your Steam account. You do have one, which you can register in the Member Area for safekeeping, but you cannot download it from the Member Area (updates are installed via Steam). ArtRage 4 users can also access upgrade discounts to ArtRage 5 via the Member Area.
If you purchased ArtRage with a Wacom tablet:
Wacom bundles ArtRage in two different ways: CD-ROM or software download.
- If you received ArtRage on CD with a Wacom tablet, they don’t share individual user details with us, but they print the serial number on the back of the CD sleeve.
- If ArtRage was included as a software download, then there should be a Software Bundle Download code/key printed somewhere on the packaging. If you bought an Intuos Draw, see this page for help locating your SBD key.
The code and distribution method varies by time, model and geographical location, and is controlled by Wacom, so we can’t guarantee this guide will always be accurate.
You would register this code at www.wacom.com, which will then unlock your software downloads and serial numbers.
You can then add ArtRage to your Wacom ‘Library’ and download it and view the serial number. You should also be able to log back in at Wacom and view your serial number again. See this Wacom guide if you get stuck.
Once you have your serial number, you can register it in the Member Area and download the latest version of ArtRage directly from us if you wish.
If you are having problems registering with Wacom, then you should contact Wacom support for assistance as we cannot help directly with their registration process.
If it came pre-installed on a laptop or tablet computer
This applies if ArtRage came with the following devices (or something very similar):
- ASUS EEE Slate EP121
- Surface Pro 2
- Any Sony PC
To find your serial:
- Go to Help > Change Serial Number if it is installed and working
If you have uninstalled ArtRage or upgraded Windows and lost the program:
- Contact the manufacturer for support
If it came on a CD with an Adesso CyberTablet
- The serial number can be found either around the central bottom area of the CD sleeve or the installation CD.
If any of the above methods fails
- Contact us via our support page (we do not have direct access to serial numbers sold through third parties, but sometimes we can help).
If you purchased ArtRage Deluxe
- Ambient Design does not have any information on Registration Keys for ArtRage Deluxe. You will need to contact your vendor for further information or contact the publisher via SmithMicro Support.
If you have an iOS version from the iTunes App Store, an Android app from the Play Store or Samsung GALAXY Apps, or ArtRage Touch from the Windows Store
- You do not have a serial number. Registration and updates are handled using the app store account that you purchased with.
My registration key / serial number is not accepted when I enter it
If you receive an error indicating that your ArtRage product key is not valid, please check the following…
Note: The serial number can also be known by some as the registration key, license code or product key, it means the same thing.
Before you can use ArtRage for the first time you will need to unlock it using your Serial Number. Your Serial Number is a 25 digit number that you should have received when you purchased the product.
If you purchased ArtRage from us online your Serial Number will be in the email that contains your product download link. If you received ArtRage on CD you will need to check the CD cover or the contents of the box it came in.
When you start ArtRage for the first time you will be presented with the Unlock Panel. If you follow the instructions on this panel, enter your Serial Number then click OK the product should be unlocked. If you enter your Serial Number and it does not work please check the number you are entering carefully to make sure there are no mistakes. If you received the number in an email you can copy it from the email and paste it in to the panel using the button provided. If that still does not work please use the ArtRage Support Page to request support.
ArtRage Studio / Studio Pro
ArtRage Studio and Studio Pro serial numbers are 25 characters long, split in to groups of 5. If your serial number is not accepted when you enter it, please make sure you have copied it correctly. You can paste it in to the Unlock panel using the button provided.
Artrage keys are 20 digits long, so if you are entering a different number of digits, check that it is being read correctly. If you are copying and pasting the registration key, make sure that you are not copying any additional spaces or additional information, just the key itself.
Common Typo Mistakes
You might have mistyped your product key. Try retyping it carefully, making sure each character is correct.
|What you see:||It could be:|
|Letter “O”||Number Zero “0”|
|Letter “I”||Number One “1”|
|Letter “S”||Number Five “5”|
|Letter “B”||Number Eight “8”|
|Letter “W”||Two Letters “V” “V”|